2018 York Volleyball Tryout Information
Please note: You must have a physical dated after 4/15/18 to tryout for volleyball.
- Anyone wanting to play volleyball at York must attend every day of the tryout dates.
- You do not have to be in Girls’ Athletics to try out.
- If you make the team and are not currently in Athletics, your schedule will be changed so you are in the class.
- We do not have make-up dates for volleyball tryouts.
- Students who try out must attend all days.
- August 20 – 23 (Monday – Thursday)
7th grade –
- Drop off time is 7:00 AM.
- Tryouts start promptly.
- 7th grade only: Students may play volleyball while on the Drill Team or in Cheerleading.
8th grade –
- Tryouts begin immediately after school.
- Pick up time is 5:00 PM.
- 1st cut: posted Tuesday after tryouts
- 2018 Volleyball team members: posted Thursday night
- There will be two teams per grade level.
What to wear:
- solid color athletic t-shirt
- any color
- no writing on it
- a pair of finger-tip length gym shorts
- appropriate length reinforced
- tennis shoes
- DON’T wear –
Skills being scored:
- Coaches will score each person on ability to do the skill and their Form Level of each of the following skills (___ out of 10 = Form Level):
- 10 overhand serves
- 10 passes to the setter position
- 10 sets to the outside position
- Volleyball drills/scrimmaging
- Coaches observe each individual on skill performance during volleyball drills and a volleyball game.
What to expect if you make the York Volleyball Team:
- 7th grade: every morning, arrive at 7:15 AM; practice continues until the end of 1st period
- 8th grade: every day, begins in 7th period; practice continues until 5:10 PM
- Volleyball games on Thursdays
- 2 Volleyball tournaments
- Mandatory Parent Meeting – during the first week of Volleyball practice
- York supplies –
- practice clothing
- team backpack
- black knee pads